Andrews Memorial Chapel is a beautiful example of Early Florida Victorian architecture, and has a wonderful history behind it.
In 1871 a group under the leadership of Rev. Joseph Brown organized the Bethesda Presbyterian Church. Many people played a role in the construction of the church. In 1876 B M Brown (one of the original 12 Dunedin homesteaders), and the Emerson family donated land for the construction of a house of worship. Before the church was built, John G Andrews lost his son William when he died while riding a horse in a violent storm. Mr. Andrews pledged $200 to the construction costs of the church provided that it be named Andrews Memorial Church in memory of his late son. Then Mr. Alexander Anderson willed his entire estate to the church, and the building was paid off. The original site of the church is the present location of the Dunedin Cemetery.
The population shifted toward the downtown area, and in 1888 a new church was completed on the corner of Scotland Street and Highland Avenue. The name was transferred to this new church, which is the current chapel building. This is one of the oldest remaining church buildings in the area. In the early part of 1926 the Andrews Memorial Church became Andrews Memorial Chapel and was moved south on Highland Ave to make room for the present Presbyterian church.
In 1970, the church was saved from destruction by the Dunedin Historical Society by relocating it to its present location at the entrance to Hammock Park. The building was literally cut in half in order to move it, and restoration began in 1974. At that time, the chapel was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The building has a charming Victorian style, and is the perfect place for that perfect wedding. Constructed of Florida heart of pine, it has 2 foyers with Gothic archways leading into the sanctuary. The nautical appearing beamed ceiling, styled like a ships hull, is completely hand carved. The pews, also hand carved, are 17 feet long and were built in the late 1800's, and the stained glass window over the pulpit is the original one.
Visit our sister site for the Dunedin Historical Society and Museum here.
Andrews Memorial Chapel
1899 San Mateo Drive (Location Address)
P.O. Box 2393 (Mailing Address)
Dunedin, Florida 34697